Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Most Snow in the History of Washington

The current storm has put Baltimore and Washington over the top for their snowiest season on record.

The National Weather Service says that as of 7 a.m. Wednesday, 5.2 inches of snow had fallen since Tuesday at BWI Airport. That brings the total snowfall since December to 65.6 inches and is the most since record-keeping began in Baltimore in 1893. The previous record, from 1995-96, was 62.5 inches.

Meanwhile, Washington reached a seasonal snowfall record on Wednesday. As of 2 p.m., there were 54.9 inches recorded at Reagan National Airport. That's a half-inch above the previous record from the 1898-1899 season. Washington Dulles International Airport, which already had its snowiest season before the current storm began, has gotten another 4 inches. That brings its total for the season to 67.5 inches.

Well that's what the news people are saying. I don't have much else to say except that - well we have left our house one time since Friday (its now Wednesday night). My work is also canceled tomorrow so I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. We are expecting an improvement in the weather tomorrow though so I think Erich and I will try to dig out again. I will probably have to work on Friday - ah just in time for the weekend! We borrow our neighbors shovel and so we were very excited to see they got a new plastic one! Should be much better than the heaviest metal shovel ever, but hey I'm not complaining, a shovel is a shovel, especially when its not even yours!

Erich was supposed to go with his brother to North Carolina to go skiing this weekend, but he couldn't get out of the city and if he did, I would be left with the little car and no way to get around until he got back. He has Monday off work and his work was canceled this whole week so a little bit of a bummer for him. So it looks like he is stuck here with me for Valentine's day, poor Erich.

Ok well here are the pictures/videos you have been waiting for, keep in mind we got another 8 inches last night which is not reflected in these photos, I will take some more tomorrow when we go shovel out again:


Our Neighbor's House
The Tree in our Front Yard
Our Mailboxes
Before - look at the depth of the snow on the car - yes we used a broom:
After - see Erich behind the car and yes the little car is still buried:
Shoveling in action
Me with the tape measure, I think its at about 22 inches and yes its up to my mid thigh

Erich trying to get out of the driveway after an hour of shoveling:
also a good shot of the little car buried at the end






2 comments:

  1. loved the updates Texas is getting some of that snow today!!!! love mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ yep i agree i woke up to 3 inches on the ground and we are supposed to get 3 more. Course that's no 62 inches =) y'all can keep that. The girls sure do love snow we have here. Who knew snow twice in Texas in the same decade, or even year wow.

    ReplyDelete